Just How My Life Turned Upside Down Billy “BillyBob” Goodman Tells His Story
For nearly two decades, race fans at Cordele Motor Speedway knew the voice coming across the PA system. Today, longtime track announcer Billy “BillyBob” Goodman is facing a much different challenge. Deep Dixie Racing asked our longtime friend to tell his story in his own words.
I’ve known Billy Goodman for a long time.
Most race fans around South Georgia know him as BillyBob. That's how I came to know him, too — through stock car racing.
Billy was working for Marvin Ragan when he got the opportunity in 2006 to live out something he'd dreamed about since he was a kid: becoming a racetrack announcer. For the next 18 years, BillyBob was the voice of Cordele Motor Speedway.
And when I say “the voice,” I mean it. If you spent much time at Cordele during those years, you heard Billy.
Our friendship wasn't limited to racing, though. Billy knew I followed high school football about as closely as I followed race cars, and through the years he'd send me scores, information and updates about what was happening on Friday nights.
He also introduced me to something else that I probably ought to either thank him for or blame him for:
Monroe's Hot Dogs in Americus.
If you've never been, Monroe's is one of those old-fashioned South Georgia places that doesn't need anything fancy to make you want to come back. And their hot dogs have been described with a line I've always loved:
“Best dog ever bitten by man.”
I can't argue with it.
That's Billy. Racing, football, good food and a whole lot of conversations accumulated over a lot of years.
That's also why what you're about to read is personal to me.
Billy has been dealing with some very serious health problems. Eventually, those problems took him away from the announcer's booth and the sport he loves. More recently, things became considerably worse.
I asked Billy if he would tell me what has happened in his own words.
He did.
I could take what he sent me and turn it into a traditional story, but I don't think that's the right way to tell this one. Billy doesn't need me speaking for him.
For years, BillyBob had a microphone in his hand and told us what was happening on the racetrack.
This time, I'm handing the microphone back to him.
Here is my friend Billy Goodman's story, in his own words.
Just How My Life Turned Upside Down
By Billy “BillyBob” Goodman
Hey everyone,
Some may know me and some may not. My name is Billy Goodman, or if you know me from the racetrack, it's BillyBob — the voice of Cordele Motor Speedway from 2006 to 2024.
Being an announcer was always a dream of mine growing up around Cordele Motor Speedway, Cochran Motor Speedway and East Alabama Motor Speedway, just to name a few.
Hearing that voice booming from the horn hanging down off the fence, calling the races and entertaining the crowd, I always believed that could be me one day.
In 2006, that lifelong dream became a reality thanks to Marvin Ragan.
I was so excited. It was something I had dreamed of doing forever.
During my tenure, I called races and interviewed drivers like Ragan, Elliott, Busch, Corey Heim, John Hunter Nemechek and Hill, just to name a few. That was on the asphalt side. On dirt, there were stars like Winger and McIntosh.
As the years go by, we grow, and with that come growing pains and health problems.
I fought and beat cancer in 2019. I had back surgery in 2020. But the hardest thing to overcome has been severe respiratory and breathing issues along with problems with my general mobility.
It was in 2024 that I had to make a tough decision and realize these health issues were going to force me to step away from doing what I love.
Since 2024, my mobility has gotten worse, and so have the breathing and respiratory challenges. The more I try, it seems like the bigger the challenges become.
Then, in May of this year, I took my worst fall.
I ended up in the ICU with a shattered and broken right foot, a broken left pinky, a sprained hand and respiratory failure.
That night, May 28–29, it felt like everything just came to a halt.
I felt stillness and calmness. I was in a field of flowers on a golden path. I felt the hand of Jesus on my shoulder and heard the words:
“Billy, I am not done with you. We still have work to do.”
It was at that point that I started coming to, knowing we had work to do and knowing the challenge that was ahead.
I spent months in the hospital before finally being brought home.
From here, the rebuilding has begun.
I have never really been a small person. My lowest weight was 185 pounds following weight-loss surgery 17 years ago.
On September 3, I came home and started my new journey, beginning with weight loss and working toward getting myself walking again.
With my recent setbacks have come huge medical bills, the challenge of handling day-to-day bills and making sure the kitchen stays stocked. My monthly assistance is not much.
I filed for Social Security back in 2022 and am still in the waiting game, with the help of lawyers.
I'm not one to ask for help very often. But when I do, it is absolutely legitimate.
Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to read my story.
I hope to see you soon at the track.
— Billy Goodman
How You Can Help Billy
Billy provided the following information for friends, race fans and others who would like to help him as he continues his recovery and works toward getting back on his feet:
Cash App: $Billybob31711
Venmo: @billyg31711
PayPal: two2nine-938-four8one4
BillyBob Behind the Microphone
Deep Dixie Racing has something that makes this story particularly special.
Seventeen years ago, we were there with a video camera during the years Billy was working for Marvin Ragan and announcing at Cordele Motor Speedway. The footage captures a piece of South Georgia racing history and includes a very young Chase Elliott, along with Bill Elliott and David Ragan.
More importantly for this story, it allows us to go back and see and hear BillyBob doing what he loved.
There are people you associate with certain racetracks, certain eras and certain memories.
For a generation of fans who walked through the gates at Cordele Motor Speedway, Billy “BillyBob” Goodman was one of those people.
He spent years talking to us.
Now he's asking the racing community to hear him.
And Billy, we're looking forward to the day when your final sentence in this story comes true:
We hope to see you at the track.
— Deep Dixie Racing

No comments:
Post a Comment