Site Navigation

For What It's Worth, My 2 Cents on Social Media And Drama


By Dale Hall
A wise man once told me "If you don't have something good to say about someone, don't say anything at all." That was excellent advice and I wish I had always heeded it. Truth be told, I have let a few things slip over the years and each time I did, I pretty much regretted it. I was raised with the belief that decent folks don't go out of their way to hurt others. No doubt, many of you were raised the same way too. The trouble is these days that we have so many ways to interact with others through social media that someone is all the time getting offended for something someone else said or did. More often than not, a conflict arises, things get said in a public forum, feelings get hurt and nothing good comes from it.

When we first started Deep Dixie Racing, our goal was to promote racing and do it in a positive way. We take pride in the fact that we don't bash tracks or individuals and we never will. That policy is derived from Christian principles. The Good Lord said "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." I know how I like to be treated and the least I can do is to afford people I have problems with the same courtesy.

Many times I have caught myself wanting to respond hastily to some perceived injustice someone has purveyed upon me. Once I think about though, I usually calm down and think about what the best course of action will be. It definitely ain't going to be fruitful for me to get into a confrontation with someone in an arena for the whole world to see. If I think that someone has done me such an injustice that action needs to be taken, what would the best course for that action be? Once again, I have found that falling back on Christian principles is the best. For instance, instead of confronting someone on Facebook, wouldn't it be better to send a direct message or maybe even call or go see the person who has aggrieved me? By blasting that person on Facebook, all I am doing is making the situation worse and quite possibly casting a negative light on myself at the same time. Doesn't that old saying go, "it is better to be quiet and look like a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"? Well, you can see how that can apply. At least, by confronting someone in private and by being calm and polite, there is a better chance for getting a resolution to the situation than if you air it out on social media. Trust me, that comes from experience.

I ain't going to lie to you. Every time I see someone get all in their feelings and then start blasting others on social media, my respect for that person immediately starts going a little south. It is the same way when I see people putting down race tracks too. Much better ways exist to get potential positive outcomes than resorting to partaking in social media drama. Of course, I realize some people simply don't care and they just love to wallow in the mud. Lord help them. All the rest of us don't have to get into the dirty stuff with them.